Health, Safety & Environment
We take pride in operating through a sustainable business model. Sustainability means continually pursuing opportunities to add low cost, long-life reserves while maintaining an efficient structure. It also means to operate in a manner that preserves our environment, making it accessible to future generations.
As part of this sustainable business model, we are committed to operating in a manner that safeguards the health and safety of all of our employees. In this regard, we have established Emergency Response Plans specific to each of our areas of operation. These plans allow for the coordination of personnel and resources required to mitigate or recover from emergencies in our business. The intent is to ensure the key elements of an incident response are addressed in a timely manner. We will ensure that the following fundamental objectives of a response are met:
- The safety of employees, responders and contractors is foremost;
- An effective, internationally recognized, emergency command structure is established;
- Public safety is maintained through notification (with voluntary evacuation), evacuation and Shelter-In-Place;
- Government agencies and local authorities are notified in a timely manner. As required, liaison with these government agencies and local authorities will occur throughout the life of the incident;
- Control and containment efforts are initiated;
- All of our resources (local, regional, Canadian, world-wide) are effectively utilized;
- The combined resources of Bonavista, mutual aid partners, the government and other external services are effectively utilized;
- Environmental impacts (including air/water/soil quality) are monitored;
- Effective communication is maintained with all responders (Bonavista and non-Bonavista);
- Factual information is provided to the media, the public, our personnel not involved in the response and other stakeholders in a timely manner; and
- Records and evidence are preserved.
We operate and report in a responsible manner as a member of the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP). Our performance in sustainable development and environmental management is measured and reported through the Responsible Canadian Energy Program (RCE). These commitments allow us to find new approaches to reduce our environmental footprint, ensure the safety of our employees, and continue to improve our engagement with our stakeholders.
We have demonstrated leadership and excellence in health and safety by achieving a Certification of Recognition (COR) from ENFORM, the safety association for Canada’s upstream oil and gas industry.
Click here for our Environment, Health, Safety and Security Policy